October 19, 2009

NEWS

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


I just got back from a great escape. I was lucky enough to trade one reality for another and take some time out in nyc with friends. It felt good to be immersed in the busy streets, with little time or concern to think twice about all the temporal drama that clogs my brain most days. Truth be told, I got lucky many times over this trip. Despite the lack of 120 film vendors in the city I managed to acquire a roll of b/w, I scored a few free taxis, saw a screening of where the wild things are, and met a very interesting photo taker. Finally, I really felt my luck running over when I stumbled onto a Robert Frank exhibition at the met showcasing all 83 original prints from his book, The American's. Not to mention several journals, mock up books, and corresponding letters to Walker Evans. If you don't know his work, then I weep for you. He is basically the Jack Kerouac of photography and embodies the American spirit in the time (when I am absolutely certain I was meant to be alive) of the beatnik 1940s and 50s.

I absolutely adore him for numerous reasons; especially achieving dignified professional status without compromising himself. Frank isn't full of fancy tricks or techniques, but is simply a humble journalist with two hearts in place of his eyes, on a constant journey in search of the spiritual, and capturing both the indescribable and yet utterly familiar.

Please discover his story if you don't know it yet. You wont regret it.

Also (and I utterly love this) bellow this photo a quote was inscribed:
"I am always looking outside, trying to look inside, trying to say something that is true. But maybe nothing is really true. Except what's out there. And what's out there is constantly changing."

2 comments:

  1. oh, what a treat!
    I was lucky to see an exhibit of his in San Fran a little while ago. been in love with his work ever since, so inspiring :)

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that quote. Seriously. It's getting to me.

    ReplyDelete