November 30, 2007

thank you



today my friend ernesto sent me this:

"romantic love is mental illness. but it's a pleasurable one. it's a drug. it distorts reality, and that's the point of it. it would be impossible to fall in love with someone that you really saw."

fran lebowitz is a great thinker and i admire the courage in which she sees life so clearly and unfiltered - life as a raw experience. when i was a younger girl, i can remember telling my dad about who i wanted to be someday. i had plans to model myself after joni mitchell, or margaret mead, maybe even simone de beauvoir. i wanted to live just like them, dress like them, say the words they said, and follow in their footsteps. my dad, so sharply as he often did, put me in my place with literature. and of all the people in the world, he quoted lebowitz, saying "great people talk about ideas, average people talk about things, and small people talk about other people."
at least 8 years later i am once again put in my place with her words.
thank you ernesto, for things you do not even know.

thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment